As we all know, October is breast cancer awareness month, but how much do you actually know about the disease that is the second leading cause of death among women? Most people know or have known someone that has been impacted by breast cancer. Statistics show that 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed in their lifetime.
Every year, over 200,000 women and, about 2,000 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Of those numbers, 40,000 women and just under 500 men will lose their battles.
Most people who are diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of the disease or are carriers of a mutated BRCA gene, a gene that increases that likelihood of developing breast cancer. Those with the BRCA1 mutation have a 55-65% increased chance of developing breast cancer before 70. That is an alarming statistic. However, with early detection, many cases can be treated successfully.
Does this information cause you to want to get involved? Well you are in luck because there are many ways you can donate your time and money to this deserving cause.
With Breast Cancer Action, there are many ways for you to take action, donate, and lend your support by attending events. The following are just a few examples of how you can take part in raising awareness and money for breast cancer research.
- Take action by joining one of Breast Cancer Action’s many campaigns.
- Fighting back against major companies using toxic chemicals in their products, chemicals that are known to exacerbate risk factors that lead to breast cancer.
- Demanding that cancer patients who need vital supplies to heal are covered by insurance and Medicare providers.
- Take on “pinkwashers”, organizations who claim to be concerned and care about women with breast cancer, but peddle products that have been linked to breast cancer.
- You can start your very own “Don’t Pink for Me” page that brings attention to organizations and companies that actually profit from their fundraising efforts for breast cancer.
- Attend Events that are hosted all over the country. You can also plan your own fundraising events with the help of Breast Cancer Action staff.
- There are many ways to give besides just going online and donating on their website.
- You can help fundraise by signing up for a “Don’t Pink for Me” page where friends and family can make donations to Breast Cancer Action in your honor.
- You can set up a monthly gift to be donated out of your bank account each month if you would like to continuously give.
- On Amazon, you can sign up for Amazon Smile, which allows you to pick a charity that will receive .5% of each of your purchases you make.
- Support the Susan Claymon Advocacy Fund which helps support the many advocates of Breast Cancer Action represent women all over, at conferences, in our capitol, or just to be there for women who need help.
- For more ways to give, check out their “Ways to Give” page
Every dollar, every action you take to fight for a cure, and every bit of research counts. Do whatever you can to help the millions of men and women who are fighting for their lives, because, believe me, they deserve it.
For more information about breast cancer, risk factors, survivors, and ways to volunteer, donate, and participate, check out the links provided below.